Asking for customer referrals can be awkward. It’s like asking to be set up on a blind date: you never know what you’re going to get.
Requesting customer referrals is a big deal. You won’t get the high-quality referrals you’re yearning for if you don’t do a few important things first:
- Consistently engage with your your customers before you ask for a referral
- Tell your customers what your ideal prospect type is
- Clearly explain how you’d like to be set up with their peers
- Follow up on the status of their referral and let them know if you’ve hit it off
- Return the favor by giving them something they’ll love
Don’t be that co-worker—or that marketer. Pop the question the right way by creating a solid relationship with your customers before (and after) you ask them for a referral.